« Back to search results|
Last Updated: 01-23-2019
General Description: The Vashon-Maury Island Land Trust's work permanently preserves and stewards land on Vashon and Maury Islands, in the heart of the Puget Sound. Our Stewardship program is largely comprised of on-site preserve management, salmon habitat restoration, trail maintenance and new trail construction, invasive species removal, and nearshore beach monitoring. This internship also supports the work of our newly conserved Matsuda Farm. The farm comprises twelve acres, three of which are tilled for row crops. In 2019 the farm will be in its second year of commercial production, with sales directed towards the Vashon School District, the Vashon Food Bank, and other Vashon retailers. The Land Trust currently seeks three seasonal interns to join our Stewardship crew from May through September, 2019.
Internship Starts: 05-01-2019
Internship Ends: 09-30-2019
Number of Interns: 3
App Deadline: 03-11-2019
Minimum Length of Stay: 5 months
Meals: Interns are responsible for their own meals.
Skills Desired: First and foremost, you must have enthusiasm for working outdoors and an interest in building a career in conservation/ agriculture. Ideal candidates are physically capable of spending days lifting and using tools and machinery, standing and walking for hours of the day, and safely doing this physical work without injuring themselves or others.
As we often rely on volunteer assistance, the ability to motivate others and develop leadership skills are important. Appropriate fields of study include conservation biology, ecology, and natural resources management. Experience on a trail, conservation, or farm crew is helpful but not necessary.
Educational Opportunities: Education in habitat conservation and stewardship, as well as basic vegetable production for wholesale markets will occur on the job. Opportunities for learning complementary skills will be discussed and time will be made for them based on interests of the intern group.
Stipend: This position pays $12 per hour and includes shared housing. It is full time, 40 hours per week, and temporary (May 1- September 30). We work Monday to Thursday from 7 to 5, with a rotating weekend of farm watering and irrigation duties once per month. During an intern's watering week, he/she will be expected to work fewer hours during the regular week so as not to exceed 40 hours of work.
Housing: Interns will share a three bedroom apartment that has a living space, bathroom, and kitchen. The apartment is furnished and has necessary living amenities.
Preferred method Of Contact: Email
Internship Details: Essential Functions
- Work with crew members to accomplish a variety of stewardship actions including but not limited to habitat restoration project maintenance, invasive weed removal, and tool maintenance.
- Conduct regular trail maintenance and assist with new trail construction, including but not limited to weed whacking, turnpike and bridge building, and brush clearing.
- Participate in volunteer work parties on preserves.
- Small construction projects, building Kiosks, trail signs, and trail structures
- Represent Vashon Land Trust to preserve visitors and neighbors.
- Care for annual vegetable crops from seeding in greenhouse through transplanting, cultivation, and harvest in the field.
- Set up, maintain, and operate irrigation system.
- Participate in various building projects, possibly including trellising and high tunnel, small shed, and other shelter construction.
- Carry out site maintenance such as mowing and weed whacking.
- Participate in volunteer work parties.