Find Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow us on Pinterst Visit the ATTRA Youtube Channel

What Is Sustainable Agriculture?

Master Publication List


Energy Alternatives

Beginning Farmer

Field Crops

Horticultural Crops

Livestock & Pasture

Local Food Systems

Marketing, Business & Risk Management

Organic Farming

Pest Management

Soils & Compost

Water Management

Other Resources

Calendar of Events

Home Page

Contribute to NCAT


Newsletter sign up button

· Privacy Policy · Newsletter Archives

RSS Icon XML Feeds

RSS 2.0: Events, Breaking News, Funding Opportunties Atom: Events, Breaking News, Funding Opportunties


NCAT strives to make our information available to everyone who needs it. If you are a limited-access or low-income farmer and find that one of our publications is just not in your budget, please call 800-346-9140.


How are we doing?
Home  > Question of the Week

Question of the Week

Permalink What can you tell me about soil sampling and testing?


Answer: I am pleased to provide you with information on sampling and testing of agricultural soils for nutrient content.

Farmers test their soils based on their management practices and objectives. Some farmers who grow commodity crops such as wheat, potatoes, or corn, or forages such as alfalfa or grass hay, will test every one to three years. The criteria that determine when a soil should be tested are as various as the types of farms and farmers in America, but in general farmers will test for the following reasons:

• to obtain a baseline of information on nutrient profile of a soil,
• to chart the changes in soil nutrient status, organic matter, and pH due to management inputs, and
• to determine the fertilizer requirement for a particular crop.

Many land grant universities and private labs offer fee-based testing services. For most farmers, the local cooperative Extension agent is the contact for obtaining materials, education, and resources for correct sampling and fertility recommendations. Some Extension agents will even send the samples to the lab, receive them back, and make appropriate fertilizer recommendations on site.

Each state has a cooperative Extension service with agents in most counties. The USDA maintains an online database of local cooperative Extension offices on its website at You will also find the phone number for your cooperative Extension office in the county government section of your telephone directory.

There are also private labs available. The ATTRA website has a list of labs, which can be accessed at The private labs will often offer information on sampling technique and fertility management as well.



« What information can you give me on college programs and careers in sustainable agriculture? :: What information can you give me on determining stocking rates for livestock? »

Question of the Week Archives