Sign up for the
Weekly Harvest Newsletter!

Published every Wednesday, the Weekly Harvest e-newsletter is a free Web digest of sustainable agriculture news, resources, events and funding opportunities gleaned from the Internet. See past issues of the Weekly Harvest.
Sign up here

Sign up for the Weekly Harvest Newsletter

What Is Sustainable Agriculture?

Master Publication List

Search Our Databases

Urban Agriculture

Energy Alternatives

Beginning Farmer

Field Crops

Crop Insurance

Horticultural Crops

Livestock & Pasture

Value-Added Food Products

Local Food Systems

Food Safety

Marketing, Business & Risk Management

Organic Farming

Pest Management

Soils & Compost

Water Management

Ecological Fisheries and Ocean Farming

Other Resources

Sign Up for The Dirt E-News

Home Page

Contribute to NCAT


Newsletter sign up button

· Privacy Policy · Newsletter Archives

RSS Icon XML Feeds

RSS 2.0: Events, Breaking News, Funding Opportunities Atom: Events, Breaking News, Funding Opportunities


NCAT strives to make our information available to everyone who needs it. If you are a limited-access or low-income farmer and find that one of our publications is just not in your budget, please call 800-346-9140.


How are we doing?


Home  > Question of the Week

Question of the Week

Permalink What information can you give me about applying for the Renewable Energy Systems and Energy Efficiency Improvements Program?



The website has very good information on the Renewable Energy Systems and Energy Efficiency Improvements Program. It is often called the Section 9006 Program and has been renamed the Renewable Energy Assistance Program (REAP) in the new Farm Bill.

Also very helpful is the state of Iowa's website for this program:

The main USDA website is

ATTRA's Farm Bill Section 9006 informational paper (PDF/67KB) includes links to:

-A simplified grant application template (for projects < $200,000).

-A full grant application template (for projects >$200,000).

-The technical worksheets

-Technical report guidelines for both small and large solar projects (including solar water-heating)


To be eligible as an agricultural producer, you must be directly engaged in agricultural production and derive at least 50% of your gross income from agricultural operations.

To be eligible as a rural small business, you must meet the size standards at

Loan guarantees are also available for up to 50% of eligible project costs. You can apply for both a grant and a loan.

The full application process (projects >$200,000) is MUCH more complicated, and requires a feasibility study.



« What information can you give me on non-chemical weed control for pastures? :: What information can you give me on hydroponic suppliers and consultants? »

Question of the Week Archives