Sign up for the
Weekly Harvest Newsletter!

Published every Wednesday, the Weekly Harvest e-newsletter is a free Web digest of sustainable agriculture news, resources, events and funding opportunities gleaned from the Internet. See past issues of the Weekly Harvest.
Sign up here

Sign up for the Weekly Harvest Newsletter

What Is Sustainable Agriculture?

Master Publication List

Search Our Databases

Urban Agriculture

Energy Alternatives

Beginning Farmer

Field Crops

Horticultural Crops

Livestock & Pasture

Value-Added Food Products

Local Food Systems

Food Safety

Marketing, Business & Risk Management

Organic Farming

Pest Management

Soils & Compost

Water Management

Ecological Fisheries and Ocean Farming

Other Resources

Sign Up for The Dirt E-News

Home Page

Contribute to NCAT


Newsletter sign up button

· Privacy Policy · Newsletter Archives

RSS Icon XML Feeds

RSS 2.0: Events, Breaking News, Funding Opportunities Atom: Events, Breaking News, Funding Opportunities


NCAT strives to make our information available to everyone who needs it. If you are a limited-access or low-income farmer and find that one of our publications is just not in your budget, please call 800-346-9140.


How are we doing?


Home  > Question of the Week

Question of the Week

Permalink Where can I find information on the legal aspects of establishing an internship?


Answer: Not a lot has been written to guide farmers in the legal implications of having interns. Neil D. Hamilton of Drake University Agricultural Law Center hardly mentions farm interns in his 1999 book, The Legal Guide for Direct Farm Marketing.(1) A long-time organizer for Michigan Organic Growers, who has many years of experience hosting interns, considers his interns the same as "guests" on his farm. Some states (particularly New Jersey and New York) have tried to apply wages-and-hours and housing standards laws to farm interns, but that is not common outside the Northeast. Doug Jones authored a 16-page handbook that includes an explanation of applicable New York State law. This guide is on the Internet at

It all comes down to how state and federal statutes are applied at the local level.

ATTRA does not provide advice on legal matters. You may want to contact the Drake University Agricultural Law Center (1), or the National Center for Agricultural Law Research & Information at the University of Arkansas (2) for services they offer. There are some articles from Growing for Market that touch on issues regarding internships. One article addresses the taxability of intern stipends and wages.

The basis of on-farm intern education is experiential, emphasizing practical experience over classroom education. There are no requirements for previous education for either the farmer or the interns. Some colleges, however, do offer credit for an internship. It is helpful for the farmer to keep in mind the educational purpose of an internship, if applicability of statutes intended to protect migrant farm labor ever become an issue.

1) Agricultural Law Center
Drake University Law School
Des Moines, IA 50311
Office: (515) 271-2065
A new update of Hamilton’s Guide has just been published.

2) National Center for Agricultural Law Research and Information
University of Arkansas
Waterman Hall
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Office: (479) 575-7646
FAX: (479) 575-5830
MailStop: WATR-107


Byczynski, Lynn. 1993. Hire interns if you need motivated workers. Growing for Market: The Best of 1993. p. 10–12.

Byczynski, Lynn. 1997. Tired? Maybe it’s time to hire help. Growing for Market. November. p. 1, 4, 5, 7.

Schell, Rick, J.D. 2004. H-2A visas can help farmers get reliable workers. Growing for Market. January. p. 14–16.



« Where can I find information about the integration of fruit/nut orchards with livestock raising? :: What are some of the basics of sustainable meat rabbit production? »

Question of the Week Archives