Backyard Gardens LLC
Last Updated On: marzo 8th, 2021 at 11:43AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
705 S. East Street
Joseph, Oregon, 97846
Primary Contact: Beth Gibans
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Backyard Gardens is a small market garden operation located by the beautiful Wallowa Mountains in northeastern Oregon. We supply quality produce to our rural community through farmers’ markets, CSA, direct sales, restaurants, retail stores, and our own catering business. This is a great opportunity for the right individual to learn hands on about the workings of a small, diversified vegetable, flower, and herb operation.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: March/April 2021
Internship Ends: November 1, 2021
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: until filled
Minimum Length of Stay: full season
Farm Manager Job Description:
Owner/Manager is seeking to step back from farm management to focus on the catering aspect of the business and is looking for the right individual to ideally partner with for long term farm management and development.
This is the perfect opportunity for the beginning farmer with a few years of field experience who is ready to take their skills to another level. Hone your leadership and management skills while bringing fresh ideas to help elevate the productivity and sustainability of our small market garden.
Farm Manager will work with owner/manager to lead and oversee farm crew in the day-to-day operations of a small vegetable farm. Looking ideally for someone with an interest to grow with the position for multiple seasons.
• Manage day to day operations, including field operations and crew activities:
• Manage and coordinate vegetable, flower and herb production: crop planning, greenhouse production, soil management, field preparations, plantings, weed management, irrigation, pest management, harvest and marketing activities.
• Manage crew activities: assess labor needs, communicate plans, anticipate materials and labor needed for crew activities
• Work with owner on overall farm management, planning, setting priorities
• Help with marketing
• Help develop new income sources for farm
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including the following:
• Position you are applying for
• Relevant past work experience, including duties and responsibilities
• Past leadership or management experiences
• Your goals relating to agriculture
• What you would bring to the Backyard Gardens team
• Other related skills (i.e. carpentry, computer, small engine repair…)
• Something interesting about yourself not related to agriculture
• 3 references
• Dates of availability
Email email@example.com with questions
Educational Opportunities: Learning on the job from owner.
Skills Desired: Qualifications: • Minimum 2+ years farming experience, preferably with some management responsibilities • Knowledge of crops and organic growing techniques • Highly organized with good communication skills • Physically fit with the ability to work at a quick pace • Self-motivated, hard working, good team player, great multi-tasker, excellent people skills with the ability to motivate crew members • Comfortable working with small equipment (i.e. rototiller, weedwacker, possibly tractor) or learning these skills • Strong leadership and problem solving skills • Good attitude and sense of humor • Enjoy working with people • Comfortable representing the farm to the public at farmers’ markets and other venues • Valid drivers license required (limited driving of farm vehicles on farm and for deliveries and farmers market)
Stipend: COMPENSATION: $14-15/hr starting DOE
Preferred method of Contact: email