Last Updated On: enero 27th, 2022 at 03:36PM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
153 North St.
Upton, Massachusetts, 01568
Primary Contact: Grace Lam
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Fivefork Farms is a 38-acre family farm in Upton, MA that focuses on growing specialty cut flowers using sustainable and/or organic methods. Currently with six acres in production, the farm provides a variety of high-quality flowers for a 1000+ member CSA, an on-farm market, and wholesale accounts in Boston, Worcester, Providence and the surrounding communities.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: Immediate, filled on a rolling basis
Internship Ends: flexible (full-year employment available for all interested)
Number of Internship Available: 2 Harvest/Pack Crew; 2 Field/Production Crew
Application Deadline: 2/15/2022
Minimum Length of Stay: 3 months
Our Harvest/Pack Crew play an integral role in the post-production / retail operations on the farm. Harvest/Pack crew members are responsible for the harvesting, processing and packing of flowers for sale at our three outlets (CSA, wholesale, and farmers markets/on-farm stand). Additional tasks as outlined below.
Harvest/Pack Crew duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Harvest and process flower crops using proper harvest techniques and post-harvest treatments
● Grade, pack and bunch flowers quickly and efficiently while maintaining our high quality standards
● Prepare and label flowers for daily deliveries to various sales outlets
● Assist with distribution of on-farm CSA shares and provide quality service to customers at the on-farm stand
● Maintain clean and organized workstation by regularly sweeping workspace, removing trash, washing buckets, disinfecting tools and sharpening shears, etc
● Fulfill online sales (i.e. dahlia tubers, holiday) orders as needed
● Support the field crew with other farm tasks and projects as needed, especially during non-harvest seasons
Our field/production crew plays an integral role in the day-to-day activities on the farm. Field/production crew members are primarily responsible for the growing, maintenance, and harvesting of flowers for sale at our three outlets (CSA, wholesale, and farmstand).
Field / Production Crew responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Planting – from greenhouse seeding work to transplanting by hand or on a mechanical transplanter
• Cultivation of field crops – including hand weeding, hoeing, and use of mechanical cultivation
• Participate in a wide range of other fieldwork including (but not limited to): bed preparation, fertilizing, netting, trellising, mulching, pruning, irrigation set up, and pest/disease management
• Work alongside the harvest/pack crew members to harvest flower crops using proper harvest techniques and post-harvest treatments to fill daily orders
• Operate tractors and other equipment as needed, based on experience
• Support the Pack Crew with post-harvest tasks as needed
• Assist with weekly CSA and wholesale deliveries as needed.
Both positions are full-time, year-round (Monday-Friday 40-50 hours/week, including holidays) positions beginning immediately. Additional hours may be asked during the busy Spring (April-June) and fall (September/October) harvest seasons. The daily schedule is dictated by weather conditions and the needs of the farm. Some flexibility is required. Generally, workdays begin at 7:00am and end at 4:00pm depending on the urgency of tasks to be completed.
Complete job descriptions / details can be found at www.fiveforkfarms.com/jobs
Educational Opportunities: Though not a formal internship, positions are open for those with serious interest in farming as a vocation. Ample time will be spent with newcomers to train, guide and/or answer questions as you work alongside other farmers with years of experience. Employees are encouraged to attend CRAFT meetings, as well as any ASCFG or NOFA conferences (paid for by the farm) if there is interest.
Skills Desired: Qualifications: ● One season farming (flower or otherwise) experience strongly preferred, but not required. Experience working in fast-paced kitchens/cafes or luxury retail a plus • Hardworking, energetic and self-motivated individuals that work quickly and efficiently with high attention to detail and quality control • Can work long hours in all weather conditions (i.e. cold, wet, hot, humid) while maintaining a positive attitude and morale • Fast learner, asks questions and willing to accept feedback. Can work quickly individually and/or in a team environment to produce top-quality outcomes. • Physically fit and able to perform physically demanding and repetitive tasks (i.e. repetitive bending up and down, squatting, kneeling and standing) and must be able to lift heavy items up to 50 lbs. • Must have valid drivers license and reliable transportation. Must be reliable and punctual. There is no tolerance for tardiness.
Stipend: Dependent on experience, but starting wage is $15/hour. Additionally, employees are welcome to flowers from the farm as available, produce grown on the farm, discounts on farmstand products. Five days of unpaid vacation time as well as time off to attend farm workshops/educational opportunities if applicant shows interest. Seasons- end performance-based bonus for members that stay with us for the duration of the season.
Housing: No housing is provided.
Preferred method of Contact: Email