Nassau Land Trust – Crossroads Farm
Last Updated On: febrero 24th, 2022 at 02:25PM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
480 Hempstead Avenue
Malverne, New York, 11565
Primary Contact: Nella Stranieri
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Crossroads Farm is an educational and working non-profit farm managed by Nassau Land Trust whose mission is to preserve open space. We are a NOFA certified organic farm that employs biodynamic farming principles.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: April 2022
Internship Ends: Up to October 2022
Number of Internship Available: 2
Application Deadline: March 15, 2022
Minimum Length of Stay: 4 months - Flexible
Crossroads Farm – Field Helper 2022
Hourly Employment – 40 hour week – April through October seasonal (part time positions available)
Reports to: Field & Harvest Coordinator
Crossroads Farm is an educational and working farm, you can expect to engage with program participants, volunteers, and farm visitors of all ages. We are a NOFA certified organic farm that employs biodynamic farming principles. Work in a nurturing environment to make a difference in the community!
Role and Responsibilities
• Following the plans and direction of the Field & Harvest Coordinator in the management of 2.5‐acre diversified NOFA certified organic vegetable farm, including surrounding fields, farm site, and other infrastructure;
• Manual field work, not limited to hoeing, hand-weeding, irrigation set-up and management, pest and disease management, etc.
• Harvest, washing, and packing for weekly market
• Pick-up east end and delivery as needed (if applicable), occasionally attend farmers’ market
• Assist volunteers and students while they are in the field, assist Education Program Director with on/off-farm demonstrations and lessons and assist with on-¬farm workshops, field days and events as needed
• Early morning start during growing season, daily schedule can be flexible with opportunity to work weekend schedule or Saturday and/or Sunday availability a must on a rotating schedule with other field hands
• Maintaining cleanliness & organization of harvest, pack and storage areas to include shared barn areas and walk-in units, proper sanitation of refrigeration units and adhere to good practices
• Assist farm stand associates with getting produce set up for retail sales, assist with store duties and marketing objectives
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
Strong desire to learn organic or low-input/sustainable vegetable production, experience is a plus. Must be self-motivated and have a solid work ethic, with a sense of urgency toward farm work. Must be able to take direction, as well as problem-solve independently. Must be able to work in any weather and lift over 50 lbs. Must be able to use a computer for record keeping, excel & documents, emails and *company software (*you will be trained). You may be asked to work up to 60 hours week during peak farm season with reduced hours during the shoulder seasons.
Preferred Skills: Tractor experience is a plus, as well as experience with greenhouse growing including plant propagation. Post-harvest crop handling and storage. Cashier skills or the ability to learn.
Salary Range: $15 to $17 hourly and can commensurate with experience
Crossroads Farm is a non-profit farm managed by Nassau Land Trust, Inc. whose mission is to preserve open land space. We strive to connect the community with sustainable agriculture, gardening and best land practices. Join our team of caring earth stewards. Please send resume to: email@example.com
We are located at 480 Hempstead Ave., Malverne NY 11565 in western Nassau County just off Southern State Parkway exit 17S, farm is a very short walking distance from Malverne train station.
Educational Opportunities: Learn organic farming
Skills Desired: Farming experience is a plus
Stipend: Hourly pay
Preferred method of Contact: email