Last Updated On: febrero 11th, 2022 at 09:00AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
1021 Whites Creek Pike
Nashville, Tennessee, 37207
Primary Contact: Emily Daniel
Secondary Contact: Avon Lyons
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Ostara Gardens is a 10 acre flower farm located north of Nashville Tennessee and a flower shop in the heart of the city! We grow, arrange, and design for weddings and events. The farm also raises chickens for meat and eggs and grows veggies for our family and employees. We are not certified organic put we follow organic growing practices!
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: March 15th, 2022
Internship Ends: October 15th, 2020
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: Feb. 25th
Minimum Length of Stay: 3 weeks
An intern will help assist our farm and flower shop manager with duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– [ ] Harvesting and processing flowers using proper harvest techniques and post-harvest treatments
– [ ] Bunch flowers quickly and efficiently while maintaining our quality standards
– [ ] Prepare and label flowers for daily deliveries to various sales outlets: shop, wholesale, retail.
– [ ] Maintain clean and organized workstation by regularly sweeping workspace, removing trash, washing buckets, disinfecting tools, etc
– [ ] Support the field and shop team with other tasks and projects as needed.
– [ ] Planting – from greenhouse seeding work to transplanting by hand.
– [ ] Cultivation of field crops – including hand weeding and mulching
– [ ] Participate in a wide range of other fieldwork including (but not limited to): bed preparation, fertilizing, netting, trellising, mulching, pruning, irrigation set up, and pest/disease management
– [ ] Work alongside other employees to harvest flower crops using proper harvest techniques and post-harvest treatments to fill daily orders
– [ ] Work in the shop fulfilling orders, creating bouquets, washing buckets and keeping shop neat and tidy.
– [ ] Transporting flowers from farm to the shop (15 min drive)
– [ ] Help with wedding and event work including but not limited to: loading and unloading flowers, set-up and clean up for events, collecting flowers for compost, any other duties to support point person for each event.
This is a full time internship: (Monday-Sunday, varied schedule with 40-50 hours/week) Additional hours may be asked during the busy Spring (April-June) and fall (September/October) harvest seasons. The daily schedule is dictated by weather conditions and the needs of the farm. Some flexibility is required. Generally, workdays begin at 7:00am or earlier during the hot summer months and end at 4:00pm depending on the urgency of tasks to be completed. Wedding and event work usually takes place on the weekends so flexibility on scheduling is important!
Educational Opportunities: Lots of time will be spent learning the in and outs of running a farm and retail business. Interns will be immersed in all aspects of growing, processing, arranging flowers, with the farm, shop, wedding, and event work.
Skills Desired: An interest and desire to learn all aspects of flower farming and floral design. Intern will also need to provide their own transportation outside of the delivery van for the farm.
Meals: No. However, eggs and veggies from the farm will be provided along with some grocery staples.
Stipend: We will offer a 400 per month stipend.
Housing: Yes, interns will stay in a tiny house located on the farm with A/C, hot and cold water, full kitchen, full size bathroom, and queen sized loft bed.
Preferred method of Contact: e-mail