Last Updated On: diciembre 20th, 2022 at 07:41AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
113 Haynes Road
Sudbury, Massachusetts, 01776
Primary Contact: Ruby Kohn
Number: 978 261 5365
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Siena Farms is an award-winning, 75-acre market farm growing diversified produce on the fertile soils of the Sudbury River valley, twenty-five miles west of Boston, as well as on a satellite field in Sterling, MA. We distribute our produce through our year-round CSA membership, our two Boston farmstores, and area restaurants including family-owned Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma. We grow our produce using regenerative, biological farming practices; free of chemical pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers.
CRAFT Member Farm? Yes
Internship Starts: This is a full-time, seasonal position with flexible start dates between April and June 2023, through a specific end date of November 21, 2023 (Thanksgiving weekend).
Internship Ends: November 21, 2023
Number of Internship Available: Multiple
Application Deadline: April 1, 2023
Minimum Length of Stay: Flexible
Seasonal Farm Apprentice
We are seeking individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2023 team, for a seasonal apprenticeship starting this spring or summer!
Siena Farms’ apprentices are hard-working, committed, honest, passionate individuals who participate in many daily farm operations, including production, harvest and post-harvest handling. We expect our apprentices to approach tasks thoughtfully, embracing a team effort to achieve the farms’ goals for quality and efficient work, along with their own goals of developing their farming career through professional work experience.
Our apprenticeship program is modeled on traditional methods of learning a skilled trade through hands-on experience. We believe that the best way to learn to farm is, of course, by farming. Our apprentices are integral, productive members of our fast-paced, for-profit, 75-acre farm operation. They are here to work, and work hard. And, they are here to learn. We encourage questions, we encourage ideas, and we promise to listen and to share our own questions and ideas!
Areas of responsibilities for apprentices will include but are not limited to the following;
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting in the fields
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing & thinning
- Mushroom, cut-flower, and specialty crop production as well as our larger scale veggie production.
- Daily harvest of our 150+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, mushrooms and flowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
Distribution & Outreach
- Preparation and packing of orders for restaurant deliveries and our retail stores in Boston
- Preparation and packing of CSA Farm Shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm-tours & volunteer days
Our apprentices, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional agricultural work ethic and schedule. Of all of these values, respect and kindness for coworkers is the top priority, as everything else follows from that.
- Position is seasonal with start dates between April and June 2023, and an end date at Thanksgiving 2023.
- Hours range from 50-55 hours per week depending on the season (five, 10- or 11-hour days per week).
- Start-time is at 7 a.m., and end-time is at 5 p.m. in the spring, and 6 p.m. in the summer and fall.
- The farm as a whole is operational seven days per week during peak season (summer and fall) including holidays. Apprentices’ weekly schedules during those months are either Sunday through Thursday (with a Fri/Sat weekend), or Tuesday through Saturday (with a Sun/Mon weekend).
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you! We have multiple other open positions, both seasonal and year round, listed on our website: https://sienafarms.com/pages/jobs.
Educational Opportunities: Bi-weekly participation in Eastern Massachusetts CRAFT farm-tours from April through October. Group field walks during the season with Farmer Chris and farm managers to learn from the fields and crops themselves. Support in developing opportunities for continuing to farm after the completion of apprenticeship, post-Thanksgiving 2023, whether at Siena Farms or elsewhere.
Skills Desired: Previous farming experience is preferred but not required.
Stipend: This is an hourly position, with normal overtime hours paid at time-and-a-half.Perks include a weekly veggie farm share to take home, additional access to surplus produce, plus employee discounts at Siena Farms' retail sites as well as at family restaurants Oleana and Sofra.
Housing: We do not offer on-farm housing. We do offer employer sponsored health insurance to all full-time employees after 90 days from start date. Reliable transportation to and from the farm in Sudbury is required.
Preferred method of Contact: email