T&E Meats Abattoir Looking for Butcher
Last Updated On: enero 23rd, 2023 at 07:20AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
256 Charles St
Harrisonburg, Virginia, 22802
Primary Contact: Lauren Iverson
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: T&E is locally-owned, USDA-inspected red meat processing plant recognized around the state as a unique resource in the regional food community. Our knowledgeable and professional staff focuses on providing the highest quality slaughter services for local farmers and commits to respectful and humane handling and slaughter practices. We also offer the highest quality cutting and packing of meats and are capable of answering questions related to the production of quality meats that our producers may have.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: Flexible
Internship Ends: Flexible
Number of Internship Available: 1-2
Application Deadline: N/A
Minimum Length of Stay: 6 months
- Process whole animals, including beef, yak, pork, and lamb
- Process animals from whole carcasses to primals to sub-primals to final foodservice cuts
- Recognize all standard cuts of red meat and fabricate them from whole carcasses
- Work to exacting standards under the supervision of experienced butcher staff
- Prepare ground beef and pork sausage as directed
- Understand differences among species and carcass types
- Participate in daily assembly/disassembly of processing machinery
- Assist with end of day cleanup of the processing area
- Perform other duties as assigned by the management team
- Understand plant HAACP and adhere to protocols under USDA inspectors.
- Must be self-motivated and will contribute to a positive team-oriented atmosphere
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English adequately.
- Must be physically capable of lifting and carrying 50lbs
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving and communication skills
- Understand and adhere to food safety policies and procedures. Familiarity with HACCP and SSOP procedures a plus.
- Ability to arrive at work on time and work dependably throughout the shift
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, bend, twist and turn frequently. Manual dexterity and good eye-hand coordination are necessary.
Benefits to Position:
- Regular bonuses, paid vacation/sick days, and IRAs are available!
- Employee discount and preference for animal processing after 6 months of employment
- Opportunities for advancement and cross-training in skills such as meat grinding and sausage making, smoking bacon, butchering, skinning, evisceration, and slaughtering.
- Gain familiarity and knowledge of various beef and pork cuts and distinctions between different types of meat such as grass-fed, grain-fed, and wagyu.
Educational Opportunities: We are working toward cross-training to the Packing, Grinding, Smokehouse, and Kill Floor departments. Depending on length of employment we are happy to work with you to get you well rounded in a variety of Slaughterhouse related skills. I also have access to a network of farmers if applicant is interested in settling down in the area and pursuing farm work. People who stay with us for at least a year would become quite knowledgeable in American Style meat cutting, breaking down sides of beef into sub-primals, and then into retail and restaurant cuts. If interested, they could also become quite familiar with either Smokehouse related skills using state of the art equipment and understand USDA regulations surrounding curing and smoking meat.
Skills Desired: While we have preference for anyone who has butchering, restaurant, or farm work skills, what's more important to us as a company is someone who is motivated, service-oriented, and can bring an industrious work ethic to the team.
Meals: No, except company lunches every quarter
Stipend: Starts at $15/hr for the first 2 months, then can go up to $18 after evaluation and skills assessment.
Preferred method of Contact: Email