Contact informationFarm Address:
PO Box 1922
Watsonville , California , 97544
Primary Contact: Sarah Lopez
Secondary Contact: Sarah Lopez
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: "Fiesta Farm is a first-generation family farm located north of Salinas near Watsonville, California. Our main focus is pasture-raised eggs and meat, primarily chicken and pork. The pasture based production system is very different from conventional poultry and pork production, and involves daily or weekly rotation of all animals across grass pastures and through oak forests. Our products are direct-marketed in the South Bay and Monterey Bay areas at three farmer?s markets, restaurants, and through our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) delivery program. We are looking for an energetic individual or couple to join us for the 2017 season, and possibly beyond as the operation grows. This position involves work across all aspects of our operation, including livestock chores, pasture rotation, washing/packing, farm maintenance, deliveries, and farmer's market vending. This position can also be structured as an apprenticeship for someone who aspires to own or manage a farming business and is willing to put in the extra hours to learn. "
CRAFT Member Farm? Yes
Internship Starts: 03-01-2017 or until filled
Internship Ends: 11-30-2017 or negotiable
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: rolling basis
Minimum Length of Stay: "Flexible, but a 1-season minimum stay is preferred"
- Daily feeding, watering, and inspection of broiler flock, hog cohorts, and laying flock;
- Daily feeding, cleaning and inspection of chicken brooder house;
- Daily and weekly rotations of livestock over pasture or through oak forest;
- Washing/packing for farmer’s market and CSA;
- Farmer’s market vending and/or CSA deliveries
Additional Roles (depending on interest, ability, and stamina):
- Maintain/repair automated water systems, pasture pens, electric fences, and solar lighting systems;
- Manage organic feed supplement supply;
- Scheduling and hauling (including low-stress handling) of livestock for USDA processing;
- Coordinating farmers market staff;
- Coordinating cut-and-wrap with USDA butcher;
- Maintaining and analyzing production records, breeding schedules, etc;
- Business admin tasks related to record-keeping and book-keeping;
- Development of value-added processing for a variety of products or prepared foods
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include 3 references, including at least 2 from recent employers, at least 1 of which should be agricultural (the 3rd reference does not have to be work-related). We will conduct phone or in-person interviews with qualified applicants. A working interview may be required prior to final hiring. Financial assistance to partially offset travel costs for a qualified out-of-state applicant is available.
Phone contacts: Sarah Lopez (831-331-9051) or Aurelio Lopez (espanol; 831-319-9240)
Mailing address: Fiesta Farm / PO Box 1922 / Watsonville, CA 95077
Physical locations: Our main farm is located immediately south of Watsonville, CA between Elkhorn Rd. and San Miguel Canyon Rd. We also lease pasture immediately north of Watsonville, in Corralitos, CA off of Freedom Blvd.”
Educational Opportunities: "This is an opportunity to learn by doing!
Everyone hired for this position learns basic small livestock husbandry in a production setting; brooder operation for young chicks; principles of pasture/woodland rotation; egg and meat handling; and farmer's market vending. As described above, a motivated individual also has the opportunity to learn higher order skills including infrastructure maintenance, feed logistics, slaughter/butcher logistics, production record-keeping, and small farm business administration. "
Skills Desired: "Minimum qualifications/requirements:
- 1 year, and preferably 2+ years, experience in agriculture of any kind, OR
- 1 month WWOOFing experience on our farm (work trade for room & board);
- Cheerfully work early, long and hard in all kinds of weather;
- Lift, and carry over a moderate distance, 50+ pounds;
- Maintain excellent work attendance and schedule absences according to the needs of the farm;
- A clear understanding of the difference between horse manure and chicken sh*t;
- Valid driver's license and good driving record;
- Willingness to work on weekends and some holidays;
- High level of personal integrity and demonstrated work ethic;
- There is no minimum age to apply (we observe all laws for employment of minors)
- 2+ years experience in for-profit, production-scale agriculture;
- Ability to self-educate and problem-solve independently;
- Experience with poultry flocks over 100-birds and/or animal herds over 25-head;
- Experience with biodynamic and/or certified organic agriculture;
- Slaughter/butcher experience;
- Proficiency with power tools and basic carpentry.
Meals: Prepared on your own. On-farm housing includes private kitchenette.
Stipend: "A monthly salary plus on-farm housing for 1-2 people, weekly supply of meat and eggs, and one week Paid Time Off. Pay scale is $1200-$3000/mo depending on experience and negotiated duties/schedule (may be less than full-time)."
Housing: "A one-room cabin with kitchenette and private outdoor bath is included in the compensation package (occupant pays own electric bill and cooking propane). The cabin is a step up from camping, but does not have all the amenities of a regular residence. A small studio apartment may also be available on-site in exchange for monthly rent + utilities payment."
Preferred method of Contact: email or phone