Contact informationFarm Address:
39 Powisset St.
Dover , Massachusetts ,
Primary Contact: Andrew Kelly
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: "Powisset Farm has a long history of agricultural enterprises, from a dairy farm many years ago, to Amelia Peabody's legendary farm, famous for its breed stock of Hereford cattle and Yorkshire pigs. Many visitors remember fondly the glowing green pastures dotted with cattle and framed by beautiful barns. Today, our farm is better known for its CSA (community supported agriculture) operation. In 2007, we began a CSA operation with 100 shares, and are currently growing for 450 Summer CSA members and 200 Winter CSA members. By purchasing a share at Powisset Farm, CSA members help to create community around our farm and their commitment to locally grown produce. They receive vegetables each week throughout the growing season, and participate in our pick-your-own crops as well, like fruits, flowers, and herbs. We also host an on-site Farm Stand three days per week during the summer and fall, so that non-shareholders have access to Powisset produce. In addition to these outlets, our farm donates produce to five local hunger relief partners each week, in order to make sure that our produce reaches as many people as possible."
CRAFT Member Farm? Yes
Internship Starts: 4/3/2019
Internship Ends: November or December 2019
Number of Internship Available: 2
Application Deadline: 5/1/2019
Minimum Length of Stay: full season
“CSA vegetable full time crew members at Powisset Farm are active in all aspects of the farm operation: farm stand operation, public engagement, volunteer programs, vegetable production including; weeding, harvesting, greenhouse operation, farm upkeep, and other farm tasks as needed. Crew Members have the opportunity to take on additional responsibility over the course of the season including working with volunteer groups, part time workers and helping manage harvest days.
– Assist with all aspects of crop production including but not limited to: seeding, transplanting, irrigating, fertilizing, weeding, thinning, and harvesting all crops on the farm;
– Assisting in greenhouse propagation, including but not limited to seeding, watering, weeding, thinning, fertilizing;
– Assisting, when appropriate as determined by the Farm Manager, with mechanized field prep and cultivation;
– Assisting with facilitation of volunteers, both individuals and groups;
– Assisting with public engagement of farm activities and farm events;
– Assisting with both mechanized and hand cultivation;
– Assisting with all functions of the wash and pack house including but not limited to efficiently washing and packing all produce. Maintaining an organized and sanitary work area, and assisting with record keeping;
– Assisting with all aspects of CSA distribution and farm stand operation including but not limited to set up, display, record keeping, restocking, customer service, and breakdown;
– Assisting with all aspects of farm stand operation;
– Supporting the Mobile Market as needed;
– Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Educational Opportunities: "Optional participation in Eastern MA CRAFT workshops; Training on mechanized tillage and cultivation practices, greenhouse propagation, farm planning and record-keeping, tractor and farm safety practices and basic equipment maintenance. "
Skills Desired: "- Minimum one year experience working on a CSA production farm or equal experience - Experience working with hand tools such as hoes, shovels, harvest tools, carpentry tools, etc.; - Good communication skills, with fellow crew members, managers, CSA "
Stipend: $12/hr-$14/hr depending on experience.
Housing: No Housing available; but there maybe oppertunity for housing near by.
Preferred method of Contact: email