Blawesome Flower Farmer
Last Updated On: January 23rd, 2023 at 12:33PM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
1002 Cane Valley Ln
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 27516
Primary Contact: Rebecca J. Sorensen
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Blawesome is a 4-acre, low-till, cut flower farm and floral design studio located in western Chapel Hill, NC. Our mission is to use sustainable practices to grow beauty and connection while highlighting the capabilities and potential of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We grow a large variety of annuals and perennials for several established sales outlets, including a 100-member 3-season flower subscription program, wedding and special events, business/restaurant subscriptions, and specialty markets. Our farm is owned and co-operated by a young man with autism.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: March 2023
Internship Ends: November 2023
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Minimum Length of Stay: March-November
We are looking for an organized, hard-working, physically strong, communicative, and good-natured individual with at least two years prior agriculture experience (preference for experience growing and harvesting cut-flowers) to perform day-to-day field operations.
This job is an hourly, season-long position from March to November 2023. The farmer’s schedule is flexible and can be created at the beginning of the growing season to fit the needs of both the individual and the farm. We are looking for a commitment of 20-30 hours a week, four to five days a week from April to October, less in the shoulder season during March and November.
The job is both incredibly rewarding, as you will be immersed in nature and surrounded by magic, and incredibly challenging, especially during the summer months.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualities.
- Independent and also works well alongside others
- Comfortable making daily decisions in the field based on knowledge of the overall system
- Confident in problem-solving
- Open to taking instruction
- Eager to learn
- Curious, enthusiastic, and joyful in their work
- Creating the seasonal crop planning, including seed, bulb, and plug ordering
- Preparing and maintaining growing beds, including spreading mulch, compost, fertilizer and weekly spraying of compost tea on all crops
- Sowing hundreds of seeds and transplanting seedlings to fulfill the succession plan
- Managing weeds
- Cleaning tools, buckets, cooler, workspace
- Harvesting and processing cut flowers
- Making market bouquets
- Contributing to and helping grow our social media presence
- Helping to grow the farm through self-education, marketing, and lots of hard work!
Educational Opportunities: Blawesome is a small part of a larger movement which uses farming as a therapeutic intervention to improve health, social, and vocational outcomes for vulnerable populations. We use the art and practice of growing, designing, and delivering organic cut flowers to promote self, environmental, and community sustainability.
Skills Desired: Required Skills: Minimum of two years successful flower or vegetable farming experience The kind of common sense and determination required to meet the physical demands of the day-to-day operations Ability to lift up to 50lbs on a regular basis Ability to bend, squat, and stand for long periods of time Valid drivers license and reliable transportation Desired Skills: Knowledgeable about no-till techniques Comfortable with basic farm machinery (weedwacker, mower, basic carpentry) Interested in floral design Creative eye Strong communicator
Stipend: $17/hour, 20-30 hours per week
Housing: Housing is a possibility for the right candidate
Preferred method of Contact: email