Take care! There are some very important things to consider before listing or accepting a farm internship.
Internship & Apprenticeship Details
« Back to search results|
Alberta Sustainable Agricultural Apprenticeship Program (ASAAP)
Edmonton, AB T6E 1R3
Contact: Becky Lipton
Last Updated: 03-03-2010
General Description: Do you want to be a farmer?
Do you want to gain on farm experience in sustainable agriculture in Alberta, Canada?
ASAAP supports people interested in getting into sustainable agriculture by providing on-farm experience and training through an apprenticeship style program. ASAAP also supports farmers providing training in order to contribute towards a positive and successful experience for both the apprentice and the farmer.
Internship Starts: The apprenticeship program runs year round, based on the needs of individual farms
Number of Interns: 6
App Deadline: Please refer to individual member farms on the ASAAP website. Applications are encouraged by early spring.
Minimum Length of Stay: As determined by indidividual farms ; typically 2-3+ months
Meals: Determined by each member farm.
Skills Desired: Things to Consider when Applying for Potential Farms:
Expectations – yours & farmer’s
• Preferred learning vs teaching style
• Preferred communication style and how you deal with conflict
• Work guidelines (hours, time off)
• Feedback/evaluation process;
• Room & board arrangements; privacy or social environment preferences
• Clarify types & variety of work done, skills taught, level of responsibility
Educational Opportunities: As an apprentice of one of the ASAAP farms you will be connected to a network of other apprentices and farmers which will enhance your apprenticeship experience, learning opportunities and achievement of future goals.
Stipend: Contact farmer for details.
Housing: Contact farmer for details.
Preferred method Of Contact:
Internship Details: In order to be an apprentice on the following farms, please contact the farmer directly with a resume and a cover letter that includes:
* Your goals for the future related to food and agriculture
* What you hope to get out of the apprenticeship
* The duration of your availability for the apprenticeship
* Any other personal details you feel are important
Back to top