Take care! There are some very important things to consider before listing or accepting a farm internship.
Internship & Apprenticeship Details
« Back to search results|
Spring Creek Farm - Alaska Pacific University
6404 N Lossing Road
Palmer, AK 99645
Last Updated: 03-12-2018
General Description: At Spring Creek Farm students are educated in all aspects of small scale organic vegetable production. New growers learn by doing in a setting where the classroom is a 6 acre field of rich glacial silt in which they cultivate a diverse and robust polyculture of subarctic appropriate crops. The food which they grow is folded back into the APU community, through dining services, our small CSA, and on site FarmerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Market.
A portion of the food grown by students is also donated to the food insecure through Alaska Tilth. By working to feed those in need their training is tethered to principles of social justice as they support a secure local food system for all people. Our Training Farm provides the space necessary to pioneer a robust and resilient Alaskan food system by training farmers, researching innovative techniques, and building inter-organizational collaboration.
Internship Starts: 04-02-2018
Internship Ends: 10-31-2018
Number of Interns: 1
App Deadline: 03-23-2018
Minimum Length of Stay: 5 months
Meals: Produce avaliable
Skills Desired: - At least two years of production farm experience, and demonstrated familiarity with ecological
- Experience with farm machinery
- Ability to lift 40 pounds, traverse uneven terrain, and maintain physical well-being while working a
physically demanding position
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Must be self- directed, collaborative, organized, and passionate about the food movement
- Good communication skills
Housing: Housing avaliable
Preferred method Of Contact: email
Internship Details: ASSISTANT PRODUCTION MANAGER -
- Assist the Production Manager to oversee a mixed crew of interns, volunteers, and practicum
students to carry out all aspects of farm production, from seed to sale.
- Assist the Production Manager to manage the fields with ecologically high standards and ensure
the quality of the products.
- Communicate with the Production Manager regarding availability and progression of crops each week.
- Help to maintain records of farm production including but not limited to planting and harvest dates,
amounts harvested, and products sold.
- Help to maintain and/ or communicate with the farm manager about farm equipment and infrastructure.
- Ensure ongoing collaborative communication and timely distribution of produce to the correct daily/ weekly destinations and customers
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with customers.
- Regularly attend and assist in the operation of the CSA distribution and Spring Creek Farm Market stand
at the APU Farmers Market
- Participate in farm managerâ€™s farm tours and farm workshops as appropriate.
- Work with select farm volunteers in the field.
- When time is afforded, work with prearranged volunteer groups on the farm.
Back to top