« Back to search results|
55 Heifer Road
Perryville, AR 72126
Contact: Rebecca Roetzel, Ashley Evans
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Website: http://www.heifer.org/what-you-can-do/experience-heifer/heifer-ranch-p, http://www.heifer.org/what-you-can-do/get-involved/volunteer.html
Last Updated: 12-14-2015
General Description: Heifer International's mission is to work with communities to end world hunger and poverty and to care for the Earth.
Heifer Ranch is the largest of Heifer International’s three US-based learning centers. With 1,200 acres near the Ouchita Mountains in central Arkansas, the farm operates a 5 acre-organic garden which grows for more than 400 CSA shares in conjunction with Heifer USA’s project farmers. The Ranch has two Global Villages, each with demonstration homes and gardens representing other countries, which are used in experiential education programs for 18,000 visitors each year. Livestock is raised for educational and training purposes but also supplies the Ranch’s dining hall with chicken, turkey, pork and beef. All volunteers play a part in experiential education that inspires, challenges, and engages people to take action in the mission to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth. Volunteers work with people of all ages from diverse backgrounds, live on-site in our intentional community with 30 other volunteers and are passionate about causes such as education, the environment, sustainable food production, peace and justice, and women’s empowerment.
Internship Starts: 02-01-2016
Internship Ends: 08-31-2016
Number of Interns: 6
App Deadline: 02-01-2016
Minimum Length of Stay: 3 months
Meals: A large lunch is provided in our dining hall during the peak season. Volunteers have access to garden space and resources.
Skills Desired: Basic Requirements:• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must pass background check
• Must be fluent in English
• Must have ability and willingness to work with school and congregational groups
• Must complete required orientation and training
• Must uphold all Heifer policies and procedures
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively particularly with youth and groups
• Excellent customer service skills, during routine times and under pressure
• A friendly, "can-do" attitude, people skills and patience
• Ability to perform as an effective team member and work cooperatively and positively with a diverse group (gender, age, religion, ethnicity, etc.) of guests and co-workers
• Possess a clear understanding of and appreciation for the mission of Heifer International: to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth.
• Ability to follow procedures, expectations and policies, with or without direct supervision
• Willingness and ability to work outdoors during inclement weather (hot and cold)
• Willingness to work hard and get dirty
• Willingness and ability to share housing (including room) with a diverse group of volunteers and participate in the household community including housekeeping chores
**Because we are a site that works with youth, please note that all volunteers must pass a background check (processed and paid for by Heifer Ranch) before the placement can be confirmed.
Educational Opportunities: All volunteers participate in a 2 week orientation and ongoing training in their department. There are also opportunities to connect to Heifer International's global network.
Stipend: All residential volunteers receive a living stipend.
Housing: Heifer Ranch has a private volunteer zone with four communal houses and a community building in addition to four private apartments which are not within the zone. Each house is climate-controlled, fully-furnished and stocked with cleaning supplies, linens, towels, and kitchen items. The common space contains a living room area with television, a dining table and a full kitchen with two refrigerators. Free Wi-Fi is provided. Volunteers typically share a bedroom and bathroom with one other volunteer of the same gender. Occupancy of each house varies from six to fourteen people. Alcohol-free housing is available and required for volunteers under 21 years of age. The community building has a full kitchen, sitting area, game area (pool table, ping pong, foosball), piano and small computer lab.
Preferred method Of Contact:
Internship Details: • Farmer Chef Volunteers participate in the full spectrum of farm-to-table activities. They spend part of their time with meal preparation and food preservation in our dining hall and part of the time farming in a variety of gardens, including a 5-acre organic CSA, an ethnoveterinarial herb garden, kitchen garden, flower garden, black and blue berries and cultural gardens within each site in the Global Village. Farmer Chef volunteers also assist with beekeeping and honey harvest. These volunteers work directly with the Garden Coordinator as well as the Farm Manager. Three positions are available from Feb-Nov (the full growing season) and two more are added during the summer (May-Aug).
• Livestock Volunteers oversee daily livestock feeding, conduct animal well-being checks, lead components of education programming (like goat-milking demonstrations), assist with fencing repairs, and participate in routine livestock work including breeding, birthing, rotational grazing, poultry-processing, etc. These volunteers work directly with our Livestock Coordinator and with our Farm Manager. These positions are available year round.
• Education Volunteers are trained in group facilitation and challenge course initiatives. They lead educational activities, hands-on classes and overnight programs in our Global Village with mostly youth participants. They are active with the livestock and garden crews during program activities, with service learning youth groups and on days when there is no scheduled programming, but their primary role is to facilitate our experiential education programs.
All volunteers are trained to assist with school field trips and daily livestock chores and help with service learning in all areas of the Ranch, but each volunteer is assigned to a specialty area.