« Back to search results|
Urban Oasis Project - Verde Community Farm and Market
Last Updated: 02-28-2014
General Description: Urban Oasis Project (UOP) is a young, energetic and thriving nonprofit organization who has recently taken on an exciting project in Homestead. The Verde Community Farm and Market is a 22 acre piece of land and large farmers market and UOP will be using this impressive facility to produce food and opportunities for the formerly homeless residents of the Verde Gardens community and the Homestead-Miami community at large. With a philosophy of environmental sustainability, Urban Oasis Project's mission is to make local, fresh, healthy food accessible to all.
Internship Starts: ASAP
Internship Ends: Paid Permanent Position
Number of Interns: 1
App Deadline: Position Closes When Perfect Candidate is Found
Minimum Length of Stay: Paid Permanent Position
Skills Desired: • Exhibit great interpersonal and communication skills to build valuable and sustaining relationships within our very diverse demographic of customers and employees.
• Ability to work with, educate and manage individuals of all ethnicities, socio-economic backgrounds, education levels, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and of varying levels of skills and abilities
• Exhibit strong organizational skills in all aspects of maintaining records, preparing and presenting reports, and tracking all financial transactions
• Proficiently use QuickBooks online
• Assist in setting and reaching/exceeding goals and objectives, tracking timelines for successful projects
• Work with Director to create and implement policies, procedures and standards
• Assist with marketing and business plan as well as budget creation
• Assist with organization of safety and other mandatory trainings provided by Employer.
• Manage kitchen and market staff of 5 people, who can assist you with responsibilities
• Keep accurate records of inventory
• Assist with keeping the market clean, organized and well-presented at all times
• Inform customers of the market/organization’s mission and outreach activities
• Listen and offer care and concern to all members of the community with feedback on the market
• Report any injuries, emergencies, or thefts as soon as possible and assist with filing claims if necessary
• Perform additional duties assigned by the Director as necessary
• Small business or start-up experience preferred
• Ideal candidate will have experience managing a produce market or business with food retail or cafe component
• Must be able to work an average of 40 hours per week, possibly more during harvest season (Nov-May) and less in off-season, Saturday work required.
• You must have reliable access to your own vehicle.
• This position requires a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
• Food management certification a plus, but not a prerequisite, willingness to become certified necessary.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Recruitment will end when perfect candidate has been found.
Preferred method Of Contact: Email
Internship Details: Urban Oasis Project is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated retail or food management professional with strong project management skills and a passion for our mission. Ideally, you are both business-minded and idealistic; a motivated, committed, fair food system advocate with an entrepreneurial spirit, dedicated to helping our small team create jobs and healthy-living opportunities for the community by joining our efforts to build a successful and sustaining business model. You are able to manage a team of 5 workers, all of whom are invested in this market that provides food and opportunity for the community in which they live, located next door to the market. You will manage products, people, and money at our farm’s market, which is housed in a new, LEED-certified building. You will assist with marketing our farm’s market vegetable production to our contacts in South Florida, and will help us scale up to a line of value-added products. The ideal candidate will have experience managing a successful retail food operation with attached coffee and juice bar/ cafe. (S)he will understand the flexibility and responsiveness needed in start-up projects, and have the patience, energy, enthusiasm and know-how to help grow our community market into a thriving business that will provide a revenue stream for our project and sustainable employment for community residents. We will support you as a member of our team in this project with amazing potential.