Barrett’s Mill Farm
Last Updated On: enero 12th, 2024 at 08:03AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
449 Barretts Mill Rd
Concord, Massachusetts, 01742-1507
Primary Contact: Lise Holdorf
Secondary Contact: Melissa Maxwell
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Barrett's Mill Farm is a certified organic vegetable, fruit and flower farm growing on 10 acres and 4 high tunnels on town-owned land in Concord, Massachusetts. We sell the large majority of our produce through our farm stand and our 200-member CSA. As part of our community-oriented goals we offer a sliding scale for our CSA, provide free CSA shares to two local non-profits, donate produce to food pantries weekly, and offer reduced price memberships as part of the SNAP/HIP program.
CRAFT Member Farm? Yes
Internship Starts: April 2024
Internship Ends: November 2024
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: Position is open until filled
Minimum Length of Stay: 6 months
Assistant Growers work directly with the farm manager/owners and as part of a team of 3-4 Assistant Growers and 4 – 6 part-time field crew. We have several Assistant Growers, Field Crew members and Shopkeepers who have been working here for 3+ years who are a great resource for new crew members.
• Work with the farm team in the field, greenhouse and high tunnels. Tasks include greenhouse seeding, transplanting, mulching, hand weeding, hoeing, trellising, irrigation, fencing, harvesting, and farm store set-up.
• Regular independent work includes greenhouse watering, light carpentry, maintenance projects, assisting with store stocking, and one day per week washing and other post-harvest vegetable handling.
• Help guide and lead the part-time field crew in tasks like harvesting and weeding.
• Depending on interest, Assistant Growers may be trained to use one of our Farmall 140 cultivating tractors.
• Possibility of combining field work with time in the farm stand and CSA distribution for 1-2 days per week.
• Follow food safety protocols.
• Candidates with prior farming experience or who stay on for a second season may have the opportunity to take on higher responsibility tasks.
Visit http://www.barrettsmillfarm.com/jobs for more information and a slideshow.
Educational Opportunities: • Access to farm records, including crop planning and budgeting tools. • Optional participation in EMass CRAFT farm visits.
Skills Desired: • A positive attitude, good sense of humor and a strong work ethic are essential qualities for this position. • Ability to lift 50 lbs and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions. • Ability to work efficiently independently, and cooperatively as a member of a small team. Comfortable taking direction as well as giving direction and guidance to less experienced crew members. • Organized and attentive to detail. • Punctual. Reliable transportation to the farm is essential as on-farm housing is not available. • Experience working outdoors in all types of weather and/or experience in a fast-paced work environment. • 1-2 seasons of prior farming experience.
Stipend: Compensation and Benefits: • Pay starts at $16.50/hour • Fifteen-minute morning break is paid, 1 hour lunch break is unpaid. • Time and a half for hours worked over 40 hrs/week, as well as for time worked on the following holidays: Memorial Day, Juneteenth, July 4th, Labor Day and Indigenous People’s Day. • Three days of paid sick time. • Assistant Growers who commit to the full season will be eligible for 1 week paid vacation after completing 3 months of employment in good standing. • Assistant Growers will receive a CSA share (worth $50+ per week), plus extra veggies as available. To apply, please send a resume, letter of interest and 2-3 references to Lise Holdorf at firstname.lastname@example.org
Housing: No. Housing costs are unfortunately very high in Eastern MA, so if you do not already have a housing situation lined up in the area we encourage exploring housing listings to get a sense of the options before deciding to apply.
Preferred method of Contact: email