Farm Apprentice – Dirt Candy Farm
Last Updated On: enero 16th, 2024 at 11:08AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
150 Dry Cypress Ranch Rd
Wimberley, Texas, 78676
Primary Contact: Sky Cutler
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Dirt Candy Farm is a hand-tended market garden located in Wimberley, TX established in 2020. We grow using regenerative practices and seek to provide a reliable food source for our local community. We use natural and organic methods which include no till, no chemical fertilizers/pesticides, composting, crop rotation, and cover cropping. We grow on about 2.5 acres, most of which is devoted to diversified annual vegetables with a small grove of about 90 fruit trees. We have one unheated caterpillar tunnel and 1 greenhouse/nursery. At the moment we sell through farmers markets, local wholesalers, and plan to expand to local grocery stores. We grow intensively to maximize the productive potential of the limited space available to us. To do this, we use human scale tools that offer flexibility and efficiency while minimizing the unnatural disturbance to the soil. This system keeps us closely attuned to the ever developing conditions of the vegetables we grow. In our second season, year 2024, we are looking to provide the community with even more food. We will be doubling our farmers markets schedule, delivering to more wholesale suppliers, and will begin to sell to grocery stores. As a result, we are looking to develop our team to meet the demand. www.dirtcandyfarm.com
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: ASAP
Internship Ends: 9-12 Months
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: Until we fill the position. Please send your application ASAP!
Minimum Length of Stay: 9 Months
We are seeking individuals who are motivated by a career interest in Regenerative Agriculture. This person would join our 2023-2024 team, for a seasonal apprenticeship starting this spring/summer/autumn! Previous farming experience, preferred but not required.
Dirt Candy Farm apprentices are hard-working, diligent, honest, passionate individuals who participate in farm operations including production, harvest, and post-harvest handling. We expect our apprentices to approach tasks with a combination of mindful/urgency. Apprentices understand that Dirt Candy Farm is a small/growing business consisting of a small crew of dedicated individuals. We are meeting the demand of multiple weekly farmers markets, as well as supplying other food outlets. Apprentices appreciate the ‘learn by doing’ ethos and want to build their Ag Industry experience by contributing to a Regenerative Market Garden. We believe the best way to learn to farm is by farming.
Our apprentices are integral, productive members of our fast-paced, for-profit, 3 acre farm operation. They are here to work, and work hard. And, they are here to learn. We encourage questions, we encourage ideas, and we promise to listen and to share our own questions and ideas!
This is a full-time, seasonal position. We are looking to fill the position ASAP!
- Have a passionate interest in farming as a career, and desire to learn the ins and outs of diversified, small-scale organic vegetable production.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, should be in fit physical condition.
- Must be able to walk, stand, squat, and kneel for extended periods.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Good communication and listening skills, able to follow instructions when given.
- Openness to receive and share constructive criticism.
- Understands the importance of following systems and working efficiently.
- Attention to detail.
- Works well independently and with others. Can maintain focus and work efficiently while working solo or with others.
- Some previous experience in vegetable farming is preferred, but not required.
Areas of responsibilities for apprentices will include but are not limited to the following;
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and transplanting in the fields
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing & thinning
- Shoveling, raking, digging, wheel barrow…
- Daily harvest of our 50+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, fruits, flowers…
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
Distribution & Outreach
- Preparation and packing of orders for restaurants, retail stores, and farmers markets.
- Preparation, packing, stocking, cleaning, managing the onsite Farm Stand
- Participation in farm outreach events such as farm-tours & volunteer days
Our apprentices, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, timeliness, and professional work ethic.
MORE INFO CAN BE FOUND @ www.dirtcandyfarm.com/work
Educational Opportunities: On the job training in a growing market garden business.
Skills Desired: This person must able to work outside in all types of weather. This person must be able to lift 40+ pounds repetitively. This person must have the passion to learn all aspects of market gardening including but not limited to seeding, transplanting, cultivating, harvesting, post-harvest/washing, packaging, delivering, selling at farmers markets...
Meals: We provide seasonal produce from the farm.
Housing: Yes. We have a new/clean trailer with bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and wifi. Pictures available upon request.
Preferred method of Contact: EMAIL