Farm Crew Member – 10th Street Farm
Last Updated On: febrero 8th, 2024 at 09:20AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
13179 10th St S
Afton, Minnesota, 55001
Primary Contact: Ashley Thorfinnson
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: 10th Street Farm is a four-season vegetable farm located in Afton, MN, just 20 minutes east of St. Paul. We sell our vegetables year-round and hyper-locally via seasonal CSA, wholesale, and an on-farm market stand. We focus on mostly non-mechanical intensive vegetable production – meaning very little tractor work and lots of fun bed flips. We utilize innovative tools to make our lives easier and crops happier, like moveable high tunnels, Paperpot transplanters, and various heating solutions for season extension. We also grow cut flowers and have a commercial kitchen on-site, although crew do not typically work on those enterprises.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: April / May 2024
Internship Ends: October 2024
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: Rolling
Minimum Length of Stay: 6 months
10About the position:
We have three crew members returning and are looking for someone to join our team. Preference will be given to candidates with relevant farming experience and interest in staying on more than one season, but anyone passionate about sustainably grown vegetables with a strong work ethic is invited to apply!
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-2:00pm. Can be flexible for the right candidate.
What to expect:
- Work in all weather conditions, including standing, bending, squatting, and occasionally lifting
- The varied mix of tasks found on a diversified vegetable farm: harvesting, washing, weeding, seeding, trellising, packing, sorting, cleaning, transplanting, and more
- Hard but rewarding work with a crew of interesting people!
Things We Expect:
- Commitment. Our small farm depends on reliable labor. We understand that life is unpredictable, but we expect that crew members who sign on for a season stay for that entire season. And we look for crew members who are invested in the farm’s success and willing to work efficiently to get things done.
- Learning in a fast-moving environment. We may do things slightly differently than other larger farms, and expect people to come to work ready to learn new things and share their ideas as well.
- The position runs April (or early May) through the end of October, with the possibility of staying on part-time in the winter depending on position availability.
- We utilize a task ticket system, in which daily tasks are clearly written out and given to employees, to enable autonomy and clarity on the farm.
- Pay is $13-$16/hr depending on experience, plus extra veggies, flowers, and goodies from the kitchen
- We are happy to share any and all knowledge and resources at our disposal to help people learn about sustainable agriculture
- This is a one-of-a-kind place to learn about small-scale intensive vegetable production, and a great springboard for anyone looking to someday start their own farm
How to apply
Please email email@example.com a letter of interest and resume including any relevant past experience, your interest in vegetable farming and our farm, and your longer-term goals related to farming. References may be requested after initial interviews.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled!
Educational Opportunities: Ability to learn alongside farm founders and managers, doing a wide range of tasks essential to the operation of the farm business. We have approximately monthly presentations and talks for our crew about various farm topics of interest - efficiency, marketing, food safety and post-harvest handling, etc. - to encourage learning and development. We are also happy to share any and all knowledge and resources at our disposal to help people learn about sustainable agriculture
Skills Desired: Preference will be given to candidates with relevant farming experience and interest in staying on more than one season, but anyone passionate about sustainably grown vegetables with a strong work ethic is invited to apply!
Housing: No, but we are close to St. Paul, MN with many affordable housing options
Preferred method of Contact: email