Farm & Market Crew Member – Red Hawk Rise Organics
Last Updated On: marzo 29th, 2023 at 08:40AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
Engle Molers Rd
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, 25425
Primary Contact: Mike
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Red Hawk Rise Organics is a USDA Certified Organic fruit & vegetable farm run by husband-and-wife team Mike and Katie. We are located between Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown in Jefferson County, WV. We grow high quality vegetables for our farmers markets and CSA using sustainability and environmental awareness as the basis of our farming practices.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: April
Internship Ends: September
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: n/a
Minimum Length of Stay: Full season
This position will work closely with the farm manager to execute daily operations of the farm. Duties will include all aspects of farm production, maintenance, retail sales, and customer service. This is a seasonal position which runs through September. The schedule will average about 3 days per week, 20-25 hours per week. There will be some flexibility in the schedule, but Fridays and some weekend days will be expected.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Diverse field work and crop maintenance tasks, including weed and pest control, bed prep, and harvesting.
- Learn and exercise proper post-harvest handling, washing, and sorting.
- Operate farmers markets; including: load and secure truck, navigate route to and from market, set up market stand, engage with customers, and pack up truck at market’s conclusion.
- Maintain an orderly and attractive market stand and produce displays.
- Demonstrate product knowledge and engage with customers.
- Represent a knowledgeable and professional image of Red Hawk Rise Organics by handling yourself in a respectful and professional manner.
Essential Physical and Mental Requirements
- Ability to work in all weather conditions. (Farm work and markets are rain or shine.)
- Ability to repeatedly lift 40 lbs.
- Ability to learn and work efficiently and accurately with attention to details.
- Must receive instructions and communicate needs efficiently, including asking for help.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in chaotic scenarios. Responsive to unanticipated circumstances that can quickly shift priorities.
Educational and Experiential Requirements
- High energy, engaging personality, and strong work ethic are essential.
- Must work independently and develop healthy relationships with crew members.
- Refined observation skills. (Ability to distinguish between crop varieties, stages of growth, weeds, etc.).
- Knowledge of and experience with farm crops. (Specific vegetable experience is not required.)
- Knowledge of or experience with farmers markets.
- Retail and/or customer service experience.
- Knowledge of food, cooking, recipes, kitchen skills, etc.
- Ability to drive an automatic, full size delivery van in rural and urban settings. Respectable driving history.
- Ability to work as the farm/harvest and market schedules dictate.
Pay: $15 – $20/hour – commensurate with experience
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and references.
Educational Opportunities: n/a
Skills Desired: n/a
Preferred method of Contact: Email