Full Time Field Assistant – Racing Heart Farm
Last Updated On: diciembre 18th, 2023 at 09:35AM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
E7982 1200th Ave
Colfax, Wisconsin, 54730
Primary Contact: Les Macare
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Racing Heart Farm is an Organic, No-Till farm that consists of 2 acres of vegetables (including hoop houses for season extension) on 36-acres of land, with woods and pasture, located in a diverse and beautiful valley. We, Les and Els are in our 11th season farming together, and have over 25 years of combined experience. Since moving to this farm in 2017, we have developed no-till growing practices, and currently produce vegetables for a 115 member CSA, bustling farmers market, and small wholesale accounts. In addition to growing vegetables, we are passionate about native plants and willow production. We are intrinsically motivated and are in pursuit of excellence when we approach our work lives. We find this work to be nourishing, challenging, and ever evolving as we encounter change in our world, climate, seasons and bodies. We are committed to this work, this land we call home, each other, and the well being of all beings. We value open-communication, respect and appreciation, self-care, flexibility, curiosity.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: Mid-April
Internship Ends: October or November
Number of Internship Available: 2
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning on January 15th.
Minimum Length of Stay: Full Season Commitment
This is a seasonal position, beginning in April (the exact date depends on spring weather, projects we hope to accomplish, and your availability) and continuing through October.
Weekly responsibilities will include:
- Bed Preparation- Application of compost and fertilizers, hoeing and raking as necessary
- Planting- Weekly planting and seeding April-September
- Weeding and Maintenance- Regular weeding, watering and organic pest control to maintain the farms aesthetic and functional aspects
- Harvesting- Learn precise and efficient techniques to produce beautiful and uniform bunches
- Packing- Clean, sort and pack vegetables for farmers market, wholesale, and CSA boxes
- Equipment Operation- Operate farm equipment and tools, including the Paper Pot Transplanter, wheel hoes, hand hoes, and the BCS with various attachments
- Quality Control- Inspect crops for signs of disease, pests, and other issues, reporting any issues to Les and Els
- Delivery- Weekly delivery route will be done by one Field Assistant each week June-October.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Has a strong desire to work in a farming career
- Will work quickly and with attention to detail
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of the job
- Has good verbal communication, and will ask questions if directions are unclear
- Has the strength and endurance to work 8hrs/day
- Will be self-motivated and able to work alone
- Will enjoy being outside in all kinds of weather (though, we try to time our inside work for when it’s raining)
- Have a reliable vehicle, clean driving record and ability to maneuver full sized delivery van
Application Process: To apply, please send your resume and a short email cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Statement: We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and welcome applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Educational Opportunities: Interns are encouraged to actively participate in their own learning and skill development with guidance and mentorship from experienced farmers, Les and Els. The farm also has an extensive library of farming books available for intern use.
Skills Desired: This job requires physical capacity to work in all weather conditions, bend, kneel, squat, and lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis. A drivers license, clean driving record and ability to maneuver full sized delivery van are also required.
Meals: No, but there is access to fresh, organic vegetables from the farm
Stipend: We pay an hourly wage ($12-16 per hour depending on experience).
Housing: Yes, housing is available.
Preferred method of Contact: email