Garden Intern – Elawa Farm
Last Updated On: noviembre 1st, 2023 at 01:49PM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
1401 Middlefork Dr.
Lake Forest, Illinois, 60045
Primary Contact: Elaine Madansky
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Elawa Farm is a historic, non-profit farm located in Lake Forest, Illinois. Elawa Farm Foundation’s mission is to steward a historic farm that enriches greater Lake County as a center for experiential learning to broaden access to education, nutritious food, and our local food system. We gather community through food and agriculture with a sustainable farm, weekly market, learning kitchen, and educational programming for youth and adults. The farm includes ½-acre vegetable and ¼-acre flower gardens that are managed both for production and aesthetic beauty using sustainable and organic growing practices. Our produce is offered to the community through our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, at our on-site market every Friday & Saturday from mid-May through October, wholesale sales to local restaurants and grocery stores, and area charitable organizations focused on alleviating food insecurity.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: End of May 2023
Internship Ends: Mid-August 2023
Number of Internship Available: 3
Application Deadline: March 10, 2023
Minimum Length of Stay: 12 weeks
The Garden Intern will work directly with our Farm Manager and Field Production and Distribution Supervisor along with our dedicated team of staff and volunteers on the overall day‐to‐day operations of the farm – including seeding, planting, watering, harvesting, washing, packing, and interacting with customers during our weekly Garden Market. The Garden Intern will gain hands‐on experience in operating a small farm business which requires a wide range of skills including how to effectively grow vegetables and cut flowers, time-management, marketing, and customer relations.
- Seed, plant, water, harvest, wash, and pack produce
- Prepare beds for planting
- Weed and cultivate beds
- Deadhead, trellis and harvest cut flowers
- Interact with customers during our weekly Garden Market
- Take the lead on one of various activities e.g., managing pests, composting, chickens, etc.
- Passionate about growing food, land stewardship, small-scale farming
- Hard-working, responsible, self-starter, positive attitude
- Team player with good verbal and interpersonal skills
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must have reliable transportation to Elawa Farm
- Able to lift 40 lbs. and perform typical garden labor with exposure to a variety of
weather conditions (heat, rain, etc.)
Educational Opportunities: Interns will get hands-on experience with all aspects of running a small, sustainable farm.
Skills Desired: Job qualifications are noted in the internship description. No prior experience for working on a farm is necessary.
Stipend: $13.00/hour for 20 hours/week
Preferred method of Contact: email