Livestock Crew – Philo Ridge Farm
Last Updated On: noviembre 1st, 2023 at 01:51PM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
2766 Mt. Philo Rd.
Charlotte, Vermont, 05445
Primary Contact: Evan Rieth
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Philo Ridge Farm is a beautiful regenerative agriculture farm located in the small town of Charlotte, in Vermont’s fertile Champlain Valley. Using innovative, ecologically sustainable practices, we manage four hundred acres of healthy pasture land, forests and diversified produce gardens. We rotationally graze heritage breeds of livestock and grow certified organic fruits, vegetables, and flowers. Everything we harvest is processed and sold in our kitchen and Market, where we feature a changing menu of seasonal dishes as well as grocery and specialty housewares that showcase Vermont's local artisans and farmers. Everything we do is rooted in our commitment to honoring our natural and human environments; we strive to produce and share nutrient-dense foods, provide an exciting learning environment for our visitors and staff, and strengthen our vibrant local community, all while honoring the integrity of the land. Food brings people together. We love welcoming visitors to our farm and to our table to share our story. Learn more at www.philoridgefarm.com.
CRAFT Member Farm? No
Internship Starts: April 1st
Internship Ends: November 30th
Number of Internship Available: 1
Application Deadline: March 1
Minimum Length of Stay: Full Term
This position offers full exposure to almost every aspect of livestock farming. The Livestock Assistant will work closely with the Livestock Team to gain experience in: the planning and execution of a management-intensive grazing operation for our steer herd, cow/calf herd, and sheep flock; raising broiler chickens from brooder to mobile range coop to the processing unit; and finishing pigs in a pasture-based system. The Livestock Assistant will also assist in on-farm hay production, cattle and sheep corralling and sorting, and farm based maintenance tasks.
This position is ideally suited for a candidate who wants to see what it’s like to work in a diversified livestock operation. This position will begin in April 2023 and end in fall 2023 depending on organizational needs and candidate availability. The Livestock Assistant role requires a time commitment of 40 hours per week, and occasionally more depending on seasonal needs. Some weekend work may be required.
· Assisting morning and afternoon livestock chore routine
· Executing the grazing plan by using temporary electric fencing to move cattle, sheep, broilers and pigs
· Assisting with lambing and calving
· Supporting general husbandry duties for all livestock
· Helping collect and record data for on-farm research projects
· Mucking and cleaning out livestock barns
· Collecting, washing, and sorting eggs
· Assisting with on-farm chicken and turkey slaughter
· Aiding in farm maintenance and landscape up keep
· Assisting the Market, Market Garden, and Landscape teams as needed
· A strong desire to learn about agricultural systems is essential. We expect the Livestock Assistant to have a genuine passion for raising livestock as part of a larger farm operation.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong working relationships across teams
· Interest in supporting research activities related to soil health and ecosystem services
· Willingness to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Clean driving record and valid driver license (you wil be driving farm vehicles as part of the job)
Compensation is based on verified experience.
Perks & Benefits
At Philo Ridge Farm, located in Vermont’s beautiful Champlain Valley, we strive to provide a healthy and exciting learning environment for our team. While the farm is located in the rural town of Charlotte, it is a 25-minute drive to downtown Burlington where you can find restaurants, shops, theaters and a culturally rich community.
Benefits include accrued paid time off, complimentary staff meal prepared daily, health care benefits, and an employee discount on products in our market.
Educational Opportunities: Yes
Skills Desired: Yes
Meals: Lunch is provided
Stipend: Yes. Hourly: $15-20/hr
Housing: Housing May be available
Preferred method of Contact: email