Boston Area Gleaners
Last Updated On: November 1st, 2023 at 01:29PM MST
Contact informationFarm Address:
91 Martin St
Acton, Massachusetts, 01720
Primary Contact: Court Mussell
Internship informationGeneral Farm Description: Boston Area Gleaners is a regional food systems organization working at the intersection of farming, food waste, and hunger relief. We focus on meeting the immediate needs of families who lack access to affordable, healthy food while also addressing the systemic causes of food insecurity. We also own and operate Stonefield Farm in Acton, Massachusetts.
CRAFT Member Farm? Yes
Internship Starts: July 12, 2023
Internship Ends: November 18, 2023
Number of Internship Available: 4
Application Deadline: 6/1/2023
Minimum Length of Stay: Duration of Position
An Apprentice is responsible for assisting with harvesting and repacking produce for distribution to food access partners and Food Hub customers. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope and nature of the work.
Gleaning & Repacking
- Assist with gleaning and repack trips by preparing supplies, communicating clearly with farmers, setting up for the trip, truck organization, and record keeping.
- Harvest and pack produce on local farms with the assistance of volunteers.
- Ensure handling, packing, and quality standards comply with the Gleaners’ food safety plan.
- Pack and grade produce for Food Hub and food access partners. Reach daily packing goals and maintain highfood safety and quality standards.
- Post trip tasks include unloading product, organizing, and sorting supplies/ tools, and sweeping out the truck box.
- Instruct volunteers on proper handling, packing, safety, and quality standards during harvests.
- Motivate groups of volunteers to achieve harvest goals while maintaining a positive volunteer experience.
- Manage and direct volunteers with varying levels of experience to ensure the protection of private property, the personal safety of volunteers, and that efficient labor is applied to the job at hand.
- Contribute to discussions and be eager to learn in a variety of environments including the classroom, on-farm, or at partner agencies.
- End of Season: Design a gleaning project that reflects upon your Apprenticeship.
- Volunteer for farmers and agencies, assisting with a variety of tasks.
Educational Opportunities: The program is designed to provide diverse practical and educational experience. The Gleaners are in a unique position where we have close partners in many directions of the New England food system. Apprentices will not only learn how to carry out farming and food distribution work at BAG but will also interact with partner organizations that grow and distribute food in their communities. Apprentices will also participate in learning sessions to discuss relevant topics.
Skills Desired: Skills • Basic Smart Phone competency • First Aid knowledge (training is provided) • Basic mechanical competency (training is provided) • Ability to operate pump and power jacks (training is providing) Preferred Qualifications & Experience • Demonstrated interest in food systems, food access, and/or farming • Experience working in a fast-paced environment • Customer service or similar experience • Interest or knowledge of local fruit and vegetable varieties • Experience leading others and motivating them towards a common goal • Physical ability to lift 50 pounds repetitively and be on your feet for most of the day • Able to work in a variety of weather conditions from hot, humid summer days to cold, wet fall days • Ability to follow instructions and to clearly express ideas in a concise and professional manner • A fun, energetic, team-oriented attitude
Meals: No, but staff do have access to seasonal produce.
Stipend: The pay rate for this position is $17/ hour and overtime (1.5x hourly rate) is paid for time worked over 40 hours/ week. This is a full-time, seasonal position from July – November: Average schedule of 35-45 hours/ week (Wednesday - Saturday 8:00am – 6:00pm) Benefits include paid sick time, paid wellness days, cell phone stipend, gear reimbursement, retirement benefits, & seasonal produce.
Preferred method of Contact: Email