Episode 228. A Closer Look at Hair Sheep
In this episode of Voices from the Field, Margo Hale, NCAT’S Southeast Regional Director, and NCAT Agriculture Specialist Tracy Mumma discuss considerations in raising hair sheep. Both have raised hair sheep but in very different climates – Tracy in Montana and Margo in Arkansas.
Because hair sheep are less common than wool sheep in many part of the country, Margo and Tracy begin by explaining what hair sheep are and go on to discuss some of the benefits of hair sheep as well as some potential pitfalls to be aware of when deciding whether a hair sheep enterprise is right for your farm.
Related ATTRA Resources:
- Sheep and Goats
- Direct Marketing Meat with Dave and Jenny Scott. Part 1
- Direct Marketing Mead with Dave and Jenny Scott. Part 2: Processing
- Direct Marketing Mead with Dave and Jenny Scott. Part 3: Relationships
- Managing Internal Parasites in Sheep and Goats
- Sheep and Goats: Frequently Asked Questions
- Sheep: Sustainable and Organic Production
- Tips for: Preventing Internal Parasites
- Tips for Marketing Sheep and Goat Products: Live Animals
- Tips for Marketing Sheep and Goat Products: Meat
- Tools for Managing Internal Parasites in Small Ruminants: Animal Selection
- Tools for Managing Internal Parasites in Small Ruminants: Pasture Management
Please complete a brief survey to let us know your thoughts about the content of this podcast.
You can get in touch with NCAT/ATTRA specialists and find our other extensive, and free, sustainable-agriculture publications, webinars, videos, and other resources on NCAT/ATTRA’s homepage.
You can also stay in touch with NCAT at its Facebook page.
Keep up with NCAT/ATTRA’s SIFT farm at its website.
Also check out NCAT’s Regional Offices’ websites and Facebook pages!