Alvina Maynard credits a commercial she happened to see on television while staying in a hotel with inspiring her to raise alpacas.
In this episode of Voices from the Field, NCAT’s Southeast Regional Director and Director of NCAT’s Armed to Farm Program Margo Hale, talks with Alvina, an Air Force Reservist who owns River Hill Ranch in Richmond, Kentucky.
Alvina talks about her military background, her farming enterprises, and how her operation has grown. She also shares her experience accessing various USDA programs, including the Value-Added Producer Grant and EQIP. Alvina discusses the programs and services she has utilized, how those programs have helped her reach her farm goals, and tips for veterans and other farmers as they navigate USDA programs.
- NCAT Armed to Farm website
- NCAT Armed to Farm Facebook
- Veteran Resources
- Financing Your Farm: Guidance for Beginning Farmers
- Federal Conservation Resources for Sustainable Farming and Ranching
- Veterans Discuss USDA Programs
- High Tunnels and the NRCS
- River Hill Ranch
- Farmer Veteran Coalition
- Kentucky Center for Agriculture and Rural Development
- USDA Veteran Initiatives
- USDA Service Center Locator
- USDA Farm Service Agency
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Step-by-Step: How to Get Assistance from NRCS
- USDA Rural Development
Contact Margo Hale via email at email@example.com.
Please complete a brief survey to let us know your thoughts about the content of this podcast.
You can get in touch with NCAT/ATTRA specialists and find our other extensive, and free, sustainable-agriculture publications, webinars, videos, and other resources on NCAT/ATTRA’s homepage.
You can also stay in touch with NCAT at its Facebook page.